Monday, March 12, 2012

Red Envelopes in Feng Shui

Giving red envelopes is an old Chinese custom. They are also known as "lucky money" envelopes and are exchanged during Chinese New Year and for special occasions like weddings, births, etc.
Take one look at my photo, and you know I am not Chinese (my husband is Chinese American). When I give my name I often receive a baffled look and an attempt at spelling, "Hough?", etc. I am reminded of the character Donna Chang in the Seinfeld episode, "The Chinese Woman" during it's sixth season. She imparts some marital advice to George's mother, Estelle, quoting Confucious. When they finally meet, Estelle feels betrayed, "You're not Chinese! I thought I was getting advice from a Chinese woman!"

Luckily, my clients hire me for my expert feng shui advice and pay me for it. I explain that it is traditional to provide payment in a red envelope to the feng shui expert. The red envelope serves as a protection to the feng shui practitioner who is providing sacred knowledge and represents respect and intention from the recipient of the consultation. Any unused red envelope is fine. When you go to the trouble of looking for a red envelope or making one, it helps to set the intention for a successful outcome for your consultation. One to nine envelopes are often presented to the feng shui expert at the time of the consultation.

This meaningful exchange of knowledge and expertise from the feng shui practitioner and payment in a red envelope by the client forms a seal of protection and intention for the desired results. I always feel a strong sense of gratitude and mutual respect between my clients and myself during the exchange of the red envelope.

No comments:

Post a Comment